Year-end is a time to be reflective, right? 2010 has been a whirlwind for spinning and indoor cycling activities of all kinds and I feel fortunate to be deep into it on a daily basis. My own studio is finishing its best year ever based on attendance (or “butts in seats” as we say in the industry)……..but even more rewarding is the work I have been privileged to do with dozens of entrepreneurs and studio starters all over the world. (Yes, the world! This year we worked with folks in 14 states as well as New Zealand, Hong Kong, Canada and England).
Before plunging into the cycling world 8 years ago, I worked in a variety of high tech, marketing, energy and other industries. I can honestly say I have rarely felt such a consistent level of energy and passion as what I see in this business. Is it the endorphins? Sure. But I also think it is the sincere belief that what we are doing by building community fitness businesses is palpably making people’s lives better. How many people can say that about their jobs?
In the spirit of David Letterman, here is the Spynergy Consulting’s year-end “Top 8 List”. This is the 8 Best Things About Indoor Cycling Studios:
1) People love them! Customers constantly thank you for what you are doing and are telling you how it helps them.
2) The market is growing! Baby boomers and Gen-Xers are aging and as their joints wear out, their search for a quality low impact workout intensifies. Niche studios are exploding in popularity around the world.
3) They appeal to diverse groups! Specialty classes are emerging for teens, seniors, competitive cyclists, cross-trainers, moms, dads and everything in between.
4) There’s Cool Tools to Run Them! Entrepreneurs can focus on creating great classes by using the web and online tools to automate a ton of the marketing and logistical stuff behind these businesses.
5) Cycling is green! The more indoor and outdoor cyclists the better as the world looks to non-carbon burning transportation activities.
6) It’s a community! Unlike the huge box gyms, the intimacy of a cycling studio builds a unique camaraderie amongst folks who ride together. Studios can link to schools, teams, clubs, churches and groups in a ton of cool ways.
7) Mind and Body! Well done classes are medicine for the body, the mind and the soul of the rider. A respite and a haven from the chaos of daily life.
8) The benefits are undeniable! More and more research is emerging on the documented benefits of exercise in general, but also of cycling and cardio-workouts on fitness, aging, disease prevention, stress, mental health and more.
There are a variety of articles covering studio startup and operations on this Spynergy Consulting blog. For a free consultation or brainstorm session contact Bill Pryor 781-254-3677 email@example.com