Summer Marketing? Yikes….take a deep breath.
Whether you operate in the colder states of the Northeast, the Midwest and the West, or in the moderate climates of the South or the Far West…….the summer slows down. Even in places where the summer heat is intolerable for outdoor work outs, the summer slows down.
Outdoor exercise and nicer weather is part of the reason, but more importantly the “rhythm” of people’s lives changes dramatically in the summer. School is out which directly or indirectly affects a huge percentage of your customers, and of course it is a time where many people take time for special trips and vacations. For most local business, and definitely for fitness businesses….the summer slows down.
|Can you change that? No. Remember that old saying about “Give me the strength to change the things I can….etc. etc. etc.? It’s true! Remember it this summer. Can you take some steps to minimize the slow down? Yes. Here are five Spynergy Consulting strategies for dealing with summer.
- Target specialty niches. Even though your core customers are fewer, there may be groups you don’t typically target during the year. Students are an obvious one, what about seniors? Teachers? Tourists and visitiors? Town employees? Others?
- Good time for discounting. Since your sellouts will be fewer, what about Groupon deals, or annual “sales” where you discount. Make the offers limited time and for limited term (“40% off 10-class package, must be used by labor day”)
- Specialty classes. Heartrate training, outside ride themes, Tour de France, musical themes, anything to spice things up a bit.
- Customer events. Informal outdoor “group ride” starting at your studio, or even a “thank you” beach party that you ride your bike to.
- Most important….”take a deep breath”. It’s OK to be slower. Plan for it to be slower, don’t beat your head against the wall. Use it as a time to spruce up, organize fall marketing, complete long-delayed projects, work on your playlists and take some time off yourself to re-charge your own engine! C’mon…give yourself a break.
Each part of the country and the world has it’s own rhythm…don’t fight it. After 7 years operating in Boston, we know we have 6 months of “high season” (Nov thru April) 4 months of mid-season (Sept, Oct, May, June), and 2 months of “down season” (July and August). We budget and plan for it being sure to optimize efforts when they will do the most good —- and “taking a deep breath” when our customers do too.
Spynergy Consulting provides marketing and operational consulting to fitness studio owners and mangers. Contact Bill to brainstorm: firstname.lastname@example.org